Thursday, November 15, 2012

37 weeks 3 days

So I had fabulous appointments with my excellent doctor this entire pregnancy so I guess I was due for a stress inducing appointment. I've been reading other Mama's stressful appointments and feeling utterly sympathetic to their plights and now I'm on the fence and need to be talked down. My doc is at the hospital this week so this appointment is the only one my entire pregnancy where I had to see another doc, my last two appointments are scheduled but sounds like I may not be getting to those appointments(more on that later). I'd never met this doctor and she walks in and tells me she's lost her voice. Um yeah. I'm 38+ weeks pregnant and have my toddler with me and you're apparently sick. Thanks. She proceeds to do an internal exam and then goes over to the chintzy office u/s machine. My doc never does u/s though she did a quick one to be sure he was head down last week. She tells me his fluid looks good, his heart looks good, and he's looking good. My only question for her was should I be concerned I lost 4 pounds since last week. Seemed like a lot to me and I have no idea how I lost it. I've been seriously pigging out. She asks if I've had an u/s to check how big he is yet. Uh, no. That is like one of the most unreliable things to do to check baby size. Why do all of us laypeople know this but docs don't? Then she asks me if she's measured my belly yet. She hadn't. No growth from last week. But he didn't shrink either and I'm pretty sure I've dropped, no idea if that makes a difference. Then she says I need to have an u/s today or tomorrow to check his size and goes to see if there's an appointment. Without letting me get a word in edgewise. She comes back with appointment times for tomorrow and as I'm trying to process what's happening my anxiety and worry is building. As she goes out to make the appointment I ask her again if everything looks ok on the u/s she did, what is the u/s I need to have tomorrow for. She says to make sure baby isn't too big(um he's consistently measured small-so did LD I make and carry small babies I weigh 110 pounds not pregnant damn it I'm a freaking stick) or too small. I have no idea what the heck we do if he's too small. I mean how do I bulk him up. He is what he is. My doc wasn't worried last week, why suddenly this week is there a reason to send me for u/s???? I'm freaking out. I sent my doc a message but have no idea if she'll see it today or tomorrow. I know u/s is so unreliable for weight checks. I know I shouldn't be letting this raise my stress levels. CJ is fine. He is in there doing his happy dances and all is well. But damn this doc for freaking me the hell out. I should have asked my doc to see me at the hospital so I didn't have to see someone who completely doesn't know me or my babies. Since I mentioned probably not making it to my other appointments today I am over 3cm(she made a point to stress the more than 3) and 70% effaced. When I mentioned my mom doesn't arrive until Monday to take care of LD while we're at the hospital she laughed and told me I better spend the weekend on the couch not moving then. AHHH. Seriously? I already made my mom change her flight from Tuesday to Monday. Now I think we're going to have to fly her here tomorrow. Of course she could be totally wrong. I could still be pregnant 2 weeks from now. I know this. But I've been having contractions on a regular basis(never happened with LD) so I'm pretty freaked out about that. I knew all those contractions must have been doing something. They were. Luckily my mom agreed to let us buy her a ticket to come earlier. So we'll be ready if he decides to come this weekend. Joke will be on me if I'm still waddling around pregnant in two weeks. Though I feel like he'll be here by next week at the latest.

2 comments:

  1. aye aye aye! And this is exactly why I refuse to do the big practice doctors. Only one doc for me.

    I don;t know what to tell you. Some docs are just panicky, and this one sounds like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, that is a lot of action for 1 appt. I know u/s aren't super reliable for inter-uterine fetal size, but they can get a decent idea, can't they? Not sure why on Earth she would make the comment about seeing if the baby is too big.... you are obviously not carrying a giant baby!! Doesnt sound like a huge reason to be concerned, but ugh, I would be annoyed!
    Good that your mom is coming and that it's worked out for her to change her flight!

    ReplyDelete